Fall has finally arrived or at least on the east cost. The days are getting shorter, evenings a little bit cooler and football is back. When I moved to Maryland, I didn’t know anything about football but after couple years of living here, I quickly learned what purple Sunday meant. Living in the hometown of the Ravens, you feel the excitement every Sunday (it almost feels like a holiday) and you’ll definitely hear someone talk about the game on Monday morning at the office.
Personally, I never got into the whole football thing but I love football parties and game day food that involves Maryland Blue Crabs. Eating steamed crabs is a summer pastime around here. Picnic tables covered with brown paper, silver buckets, buttered corn, and old bay seasoning. In the cooler months, instead of steamed crabs you’ll find picked crabmeat at every supermarket.
These Crispy Baked Crab Bites are loaded with chunks of crabmeat and honestly are perfect for any day! Creamy, zesty, and pop-in-your-mouth-so-easily-good. You will want to make them over and over. They are manly enough for a game day but also sophisticated enough for a fancy dinner party.
You want to make sure to use good quality fresh crabmeat. You can find crabmeat year around at your local supermarket. Splurge a little it will make a difference. Crab meat combined with fresh green onions, dill, creamy cream cheese, Dijon mustard, mozzarella cheese, good for you spinach and panko bread crumbs. Squeeze of lemon juice finishes off these crab bites and you have a tasty appetizer or snack in no time. They are similar to a classic crab cake but in much smaller version.
I made a simple Spicy Aioli that compliments these crab bites nicely, by combining mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and lemon juice. You can also serve these with tartar sauce or warm tomato sauce.
Super easy and super tasty!
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 ¼ cups panko breadcrumbs, divided
- ¾ cup frozen spinach, thawed, drained and excess water squeezed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1-½ cups cooked Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tsp. Sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp. + ¼ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the broiler to high. Position the oven rack in the middle. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the green onions, ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, spinach, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, Dijon, dill, and lemon juice. Fold in crabmeat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ½ cup panko breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl.
- Scoop crab mixture by 2 tablespoon portions forming a ball. Roll each ball in the panko, covering all around. Transfer to a foil lined baking sheet. Top each crab bite with a slice of butter.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until lightly golden, checking often. Gently flip the crab balls and broil for additional 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve immediately with spicy aioli or your favorite sauce.
- Combine ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.