A beautiful side dish to add to your table this fall. Leafy kale and tender sweet potatoes combined in a flavorful cheese sauce. Baked until creamy, gooey, and golden crisp.
I have another delicious side to share with you guys today! Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, we have to start thinking about Christmas and I feel like Christmas is a little laid back with regards to food or at least in our house. So, anything goes. Personally I love sides and I love a variety of them. What I love even more is sides that feel good eating: wholesome, delicious, and good for you. This sweet potato + kale bake is all about fall flavors and wholesome ingredients. Tender sweet potatoes and leafy kale baked in a flavorful cheese sauce, all finished off with a crunchy panko Parmesan topping. I mean does it get better than that?!
The whole process of making this bake is actually fairly easy. Just give yourself time for it to bake. I kept the sweet potatoes at 1/8-inch thick and for the cheese sauce, I used a basic butter, flour, and milk combo. The milk is a2 Milk® and is delicious and good for your tummy. I also flavored the sauce with nutmeg, garlic, and thyme.
Assembling the bake is only three simple steps: layer sweet potatoes, kale, and cheese sauce. Then repeat all over again for a second layer. Bake until bubbly hot, top it with panko Parmesan topping and bake further until golden crisp. It’s tender, creamy, and completely satisfying. Pair it with delicious Christmas roast or a simple family chicken dinner. I mean you really can’t go wrong here.
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- ½ cup water
- 1 bunch curly kale, stemmed + chopped (about 16 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups a2 Milk® (I used whole milk)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1½ - 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled + sliced ⅛-inch thick
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Add kale and cook for about 2-4 minutes or just until wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain and transfer to a colander.
- Reduce heat to medium, add butter. Once butter is melted, whisk in the flour. Then slowly add milk and cream, whisking until clump free. Add nutmeg, salt, garlic, thyme, and black pepper, to taste; bring mixture to a slow simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard thyme and stir in the Gruyere until melted. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Lightly grease 9 x 13 inch casserole dish and layer half each of sweet potatoes in overlapping pattern, kale, and sauce, then repeat with the remaining sweet potatoes, kale, and sauce.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake 25-35 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together the Parmesan cheese and panko. Sprinkle the bake with panko mixture and bake uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.
Now the exciting part! I’ve partnered with a2 Milk® to give away a $100 Visa gift card to one of you!!!! All you have to do is tell me in the comments below: what is your ALL time favorite holiday dish. GO!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#Sweeps” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 12/5/2016 – 1/5/2017.
Be sure to visit the brand page on SheKnows.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!