There is nothing more satisfying on a hot summer day than a veggie loaded meal that is not only good for your body but very body friendly. See what I did there 🙂 This here is exactly that. We are less than three weeks away from our beach vacay and this mama is 3 months post baby so I’m pretty much needing all the help I can to get myself as ready as I can for the beach. This salad is a meal on its own. Honestly. It will leave you satisfied and feeling good all around.
I’m not sure why I’m just now discovering that when you combine grilled veggies with fresh you get summer in a bowl. Or close enough. If we could taste summer. This would be it. It’s overload of flavor all in one. Grilled garden veggies combined with juicy heirloom tomatoes and crispy cucumbers, plus toasty crispy croutons (that are grilled!), tossed with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar. It’s flavorful, colorful and crazy delicious good.
Grilled veggies add smokiness and fresh veggies add sweetness and juiciness to the mix. Let’s not forget about the grilled croutons. Seriously. I think croutons are the best part here. I used French baguette from the bakery that I cubed and tossed in flavorful spices, then threaded onto skewers and grilled alongside veggies.
Serve this with your favorite entree or eat it as is. I say eat it as is. You wont regret it.
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. white mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ hothouse cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup fresh thinly sliced basil
- 1½ Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- wooden skewers
- In a bowl, combine the mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt; toss to coat.
- Place bread cubes in another bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Thread onto skewers.
- Preheat the grill on medium/high.
- Transfer vegetables to a grill basket and grill uncovered for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. At the same time, grill the bread cubes, uncovered for 1-2 minutes or until toasted, turning couple times.
- Transfer the vegetables and bread cubes to a salad bowl. Add sliced cucumbers, tomato chunks and basil; drizzle with vinegar and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
adapted from taste of home magazine, summer 2014 edition
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.