Hi friends! This weekend is 4th of July and it’s usually the highlight of the summer for us. We always go big for the 4th, whether with a party, trip, or food. It’s always memorable regardless of how we celebrate and this year is going to be no different. We’re looking forward to spending time with our friends, cooking out and watching the fireworks. So, today of course I bring you a very 4th of July approved dish. It’s a seafood dish that is fresh, quick, and tasty. Everything that summer has to offer is here.
Garlic Shrimp Skewers with Cilantro Pesto is a combination of so many delicious flavors. The shrimp on their own are absolutely to die for as they are marinated in ton of garlic, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Then quickly grilled until just pink and opaque. You can pretty much enjoy them on their own but Cilantro Pesto kinda takes the shrimp skewers to the next level. OMG. Cilantro Pesto…seriously…I don’t even know where to start.
It has all the traditional pesto components: garlic, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, and lemon juice but instead of basil, it’s made with fresh cilantro leaves with little bit of white wine vinegar. The result guys..no lie, is the best stinkin’ pesto I ever had. And when you dip garlicky+spicy shrimp into the fresh, green and absolutely perfect pesto you get an amazing 4th of July meal. Or atleast in my book 🙂
- 2 lbs. medium (26-30) shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- zest 1 lime
- bamboo skewers
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. water
- salt to taste
- For the shrimp, in a medium bowl combine olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, and lime zest. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the pesto.
- For the pesto, combine all ingredients in a bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. Pop the pesto in the refrigerator while cooking the shrimp.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers and grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes per side or just until cooked through and no longer transparent. Do not overcook or you will have rubbery shrimp!
- Serve immediately with prepared pesto.
**for the pesto, use 2 or less cloves of garlic if you're not a fan of garlicky taste but we heart eyes all the garlic!