Happy weekend friends! I have an easy side combining some of the best summer flavors! Juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and grilled zucchini. There’s no doubt that I love caprese salad in any form (here, here, here), especially now when summer tomatoes are just around the corner. This simple side, combines grilled zucchini with caprese salad. I made a similar version with portobello mushrooms last year that we absolutely love, love and wanted to recreate something similar but with zucchini instead.
Grilled zucchini is one of those vegetables that you can do so much or so little with and it will taste good. I love grilled zucchini, especially cold the next day chopped in my salad or hot off the grill with a simple s+p and olive oil. It’s sweet and juicy no matter how you eat it.
So I grilled the zucchini. Really simple…just with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Sprinkled on generous amount of garlic salt, then topped it off with fresh tomato slices, mozzarella, chopped basil, and drizzle of olive oil. It’s absolutely delicious! No lie. Smoky flavors of grilled squash combined with fresh sweet tomatoes and cheese is such an awesome combo here.
Serve it up alongside your favorite chicken, steak, shrimp, or fish dinner. You can easily double or triple the recipe. This also tastes amazing the next day, cold right out of the fridge (my personal fav!).
- 3 medium zucchini (1½ lbs.), cut lengthwise
- 5 cocktail tomatoes, sliced ½ - inch thick
- 8 oz. pre-sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic salt
- fresh basil leaves, julienned
- olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Drizzle and rub zucchini halves with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high and grill the zucchini covered for 3-5 minutes per side or just until knife tender.
- Remove the grilled zucchini to a serving platter cut side up. Season evenly with garlic salt. Top each half with mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes in overlapping pattern. Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with olive oil. Season with additional salt and fresh ground black pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature. It also tastes good chilled the next day. Serves 6-8 as a side.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.