Happy New Year friends! Another year gone, crazy or what? 2015!!! I remember when 2000 hit and everyone thought the world was going to end. HA! Or at least where I come from. I grew up in a crazy strict Russian Baptist home and every New Year’s Eve we went to church and one topic was always in common….end of the world. I remember trying to picture myself as an adult married with a family and it always seemed so impossible because I never thought I would experience that.
Fast forward to 2015 and married, with a family, living the “American dream” as they say. I’m so grateful for this past year – all the ups and downs, struggles, tears, laughter, joy as it just brought me to this exact place in my life. And it’s a peaceful, less stressful, simple, and most important with my family type of place. So cheers to 2015 and to whatever it will bring. We are going full swing this year and ringing in the New Year in our pj’s at home. Yep we crazy like that.
Now let’s talk food! I definitely had New Year’s Eve in mind when making these Chocolate Ricotta, Berry, and Coconut Crostini. Rich chocolate with beautiful dark berries and a sprinkle of crushed coconut. Toasty, chocolatey and fruity all in one. Everything about these just says party time to me! You can make them now for tonight. Only 20 minutes of prep time with simple ingredients: baguette, ricotta, chocolate spread, coconut chips, and mint.
I used this exact hazelnut spread that I picked up at my local grocery store. With no artificial color, preservatives or corn syrup it was calling my name. Another option is Nutella or any other chocolate spread will do. As far as the coconut chips, most grocery stores that have a legit healthy/organic section will carry coconut chips. Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s has them for sure. Coconut chips are actual dry flakes of coconut that are toasted and alot of times flavored. They make a super delicious alternative to nuts. But if you can’t get your hands on a bag, then toasted crushed almonds would work instead.
- ½ baguette, sliced ½-inch thick (you will have about 20 slices)
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese (I used whole milk)
- 3 Tbsp. chocolate spread, such as Nutella or Nocciolata
- Assorted fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. coconut chips, crushed
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Combine the ricotta cheese with chocolate spread; cover and chill in the refrigerator while preparing the baguette slices.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, flipping half way. Cool completely.
- Spread chocolate ricotta on each crostini, top with couple berries, sprinkle with crushed coconut chips and mint. Serve immediately.