We love grilled cheese in this house. Cheesy, hot and gooey. It’s the ultimate comfort food. I personally love the classic with yellow American cheese and hot soup on a cold winter day. But grilled cheese sandwich is no longer a cold weather comfort food as there are so many variations from fruit to veggies or plain cheese that could be whipped up at any time.
I made these Strawberry Bruschetta Grilled Cheese sandwiches this week and they were gone in no time! My hubby even took cold leftovers to work to share with couple co-workers.
Strawberries are very much in season now and you can pick up a pint or two at a reasonable price. I normally have ripe strawberries lying around so a Strawberry Bruschetta Grilled Cheese is a perfect way to use some of those leftovers.
I used seven whole grain bread that was on the verge of going moldy but any type of bread will do. Also my new obsession is a coconut oil spread that I’ve been using on everything. It’s a perfect combination of sweet and salty. The rest of the ingredients were on hand: thinly sliced strawberries, fresh basil out of my garden, zest of lemon, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I used brie cheese but any type of white cheese will do. Simple, delicious and happy 🙂
Happy 4th guys! I’ll be out with fam and friends doing a little boating today and cooking up some good food. Hope everyone has a great Friday doing nothing.
- 6 slices crusty bread like seven whole grain
- 3-4 Tbsp. coconut oil spread (I'm loving this one)
- 1½ cups thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 6 slices large basil leaves, slivered
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. lemon zest
- 8 oz. brie cheese, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Spread the coconut oil on one side of each bread slice.
- In a small bowl, combine together sliced strawberries, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper; mix gently.
- Spread sliced brie on un-oiled slice of bread. Top each slice with generous amount of strawberries. Top strawberries with more brie slices.
- Place the the bread slices, oiled side down in a medium non-stick skillet and top with another slice of bread. Cook until crispy, golden and cheesy; about 3-4 minutes per each side.
- Makes 3 generous sandwiches that could be served individually or sliced in half and served as mini sandwiches.