You know the days when everything is crossed off on your “to do” list , house is spotless, laundry done and dinner is perfectly timed and on the table? Yeah, me neither. It seems the more time I have, the more I find to be washed, vacuumed, picked up, folded, put away, wiped down. You see where I’m going?
This week was a perfect example. Every day was a constant go, everything from work, errands, classes, work outs, appointments, play dates, date nights and dinner of course. I feel days like these are just a big blur as I normally can’t remember what I did. Not a fan.
So, I came home from work one day this week. Another long day. Completely exhausted. All I wanted was my pillow but I told myself I’ll sleep when I’m old and marched myself to my tidy little kitchen to start the overwhelming task of cooking dinner. Or what it seemed like that day.
Pasta. Oh, how I love pasta but what I love even more is pasta with vegetables and protein all in one pot. Whoever thought of that is a genius!
We don’t eat much pasta in my household but I make up for it when we go out. I’m the type of girl that goes out to a fancy restaurant and orders a pasta dish. I know, right?! Cheap date according to Mr. Spouse 🙂
Pasta is great quick fix as I normally pack it with ton of greens, veggies and some type of protein. I like to use the 50%, 25% and 25% rule. Meaning 50% of my dish is veggies, 25% is protein, and the rest 25% is the actual pasta. It keeps me in check as far as eating right and always turns out scrumptious 🙂
I used chicken sausage with spinach and roasted red peppers and orzo pasta but Italian sausage and any type of pasta would work well. Plus did I say that this beauty only takes 30 min?!
So eat some pasta tonight. Happy weekend!
- ½ lb. Spinach and Red Pepper Chicken Sausages or Italian Sausages, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz. baby petite white mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 (7 oz.) bag baby spinach
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- In a small pasta pot bring water to a boil and cook orzo according to package directions. Rinse orzo under cold water and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and fry the sausage for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through, breaking up into pieces. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Use 1 teaspoon of the pan dripping and 2 teaspoon coconut oil to saute onion and bell pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add spinach, sausage, and orzo to the pan. Stir until spinach wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.